Middle of the night, trying to re-install Ubuntu on a crashed machine. Worse of luck.
Turns out, I am attempting to install Karmic 9.10 on a platform with a newly formatted SATA drive. Here are the symptoms:
1. Boot up using Desktop i386 Live CD
2. Select installing Ubuntu
3. Go through installer dialogs: language, time, keyboard. Those are fine
4. Select partition dialog fails to show any drives
Booting into live desktop and using GParted shows the drive just fine. So what is going on?
Turns out, there is interactions between dmraid and SATA drives. Quick solution:
1. Boot into live desktop
2. Start Synaptic Package Manager
3. Search for “dmraid”
4. Uninstall all “dmraid” related packages
5. Proceed with install